office: W247A Millennium Science Complex
I am a postdoctoral fellow working on ecology of infectious disease with a view to understand how complexities at host and pathogen level scale up to population level dynamics.
Pathogen interference often plays an important role in shaping out the disease outbreak. In this lab, I am specifically studying (in collaboration with Ottar Bjornstad) Whooping cough strains (pertussis andparapertussis) and investigating mechanisms that underlie the out-of-phase dynamical pattern of these two pathogens. I blend both mathematical theories and computational techniques to address these problems.
I am also working on transient dynamics of resurgent Measles outbreaks. Measles are still fairly common in developing countries, even after years of apparent control. Recent re-emergence of measles in many places characterizes unpredictable features that indicate a clear shift in the disease epidemiology. I am exploring several hypotheses by developing mechanistic models that can explain the epidemiological shift in measles dynamics.
- Bauch C. T. and Bhattacharyya S. (2012). Social learning and evolutionary game dynamics determine how vaccine scares unfold. PLoS Comput. Biol., 8(4): e1002452. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002452.
- Bhattacharyya S. and Bauch C. T. (2011). “Wait and see” vaccinating behavior during a pandemic: a game theoretic analysis, Vaccine, 29(33), 5519-5525.
- Ghosh S. and Bhattacharyya S. (2011). A two-patch prey-predator model with food-gathering activity, J. Applied Mathematics and Computating, 37(1-2), 497-521.
- Bauch C.T. and Bhattacharyya S. and Ball B. (2010). Rapid Emergence of Free-Riding Behavior in New Pediatric Immunization Programs, PLoS ONE 5(9): e12594. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0012594.
- Bhattacharyya S. and Bauch C. T. (2010). A game dynamic model for delayer strategies in vaccinating behaviour for pediatric infectious diseases, J. Theoretical Biology 267, 276-282.
- Bhattacharyya S. and Ghosh S. (2010).Optimal control of vertically transmitted disease: an integrated approach, Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, 11(4), 369-387.